Monday, November 15, 2010

Worst soccer mom ever

I was never a soccer player.  My soccer career ended practically right when it began, in 2nd grade when I cowered in fear while all the aggressive boys from good Italian families (we lived surrounded by Italians in Macomb County in those days) jockeyed for the ball and kicked at my skinny long shins.

I'm also the worst sports fan in the world.  I have no attention span for sports and absolutely cannot handle the emotional tumult involved.  They are winning!  They are losing!  What the hell is going on?  I have enough emotional tumult going on in my head everyday...I can't possibly make room for the emotional tumult of a game played by people I don't know.  As such, I have not developed a sports-watcher's eye or memory - how could I when I am blocking out all of the emotion?  I NEVER see any of the smaller things that happen within a game, I can't recall what happened a minute ago, a season ago, 3 years ago, etc.  I don't even WANT to.

Lastly, I am a spoiled rotten brat who craves her own exercise and her own life.  I wish this wasn't true - but I still have a hard time shelling out all of this money and spending all of this time watching my kids do cool things while I sit around and get fatter and more out of shape!  (Isn't that an almost unspeakably horrible thing for me to admit?)  However, I do my very best to put my love for my children and my desire for them to lead wonderfully fulfilling lives first.  I suck it up, and I drive and drive and drive and watch and watch and watch soccer, and swimming, and soon, basketball.  And when it becomes too much for me to bear I chastise myself for not being one of those wonderful people who manage to fit in their dreams and their lives and their fitness in with those/that of their children...and I try a little bit better to manage my time and fit my dreams and life and fitness in.

And so tonight, I am finally adding my daughters' soccer games to my calendar, 2 weeks after their indoor seasons started...and I'm looking at who they will be playing, and checking out the records, etc....which wouldn't be a big horrible deal except that I am supposed to be the MANAGER of the team!!!!!!  (Worst soccer mom ever.)

 P.S. - Good thing I am married to the best soccer dad ever.  But I feel so guilty.  How can he be so good at all of these mom things, AND have to be the breadwinner of the family, too?  The poor guy did NOT luck out when he got stuck with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment